LOCAL FARM-TO-TABLE DINING... SINCE 1965
In November 1965, Peter and Janet Pratt became the fifth owners of this stroried property and Peter Pratt's Inn has operated as the family's restaurant ever since. Chef Jonathan Pratt took over the reigns of the Inn many years ago and tasteful culinary delights in the kitchen. Operated as a restaurant, Peter Pratt's Inn serves American Regional cuisine nightly. Porch dining overlooking the 200 year old pine forest is available during warm summer months and cozy fireplace dining during chilly winter nights.
PETER PRATT'S INN, an Revolutionary War-era colonial home is located in the oldest section of Yorktown and is situated at the battle site of the demise of General George Washington's Northern Continental Command Post to the British Tories in 1781. Across the street is one of the oldest structures in Westchester, the Davenport House, which served as General Washington's command post throughout the Revolutionary War.
The restaurant area was originally the foundation of a barn built in 1780. The dining room remains authentic in its colonial design and construction. Overhead, thick, petrified chestnut beams rest on granite boulders, the foundation for 75% of the building.
The Inn was a part of the Carpenter-Davenport homestead which encompassed 250 acres including the land of Loch Ledge Country Club (off Route 118). In 1823, the center section of the building was constructed in colonial design, with the wings added in the Victorian style years afterwards to make room for the new Daniel Griffen ownership. Finally, in 1861, Daniel Griffen completed the house as you see it today.
Between 1915 and 1924, the old farmhouse was used by the Bowery Mission to house men from New York City who worked at a nearby sawmill cutting wood.
At the turn of the century, the building was purchased by Halsey Wilson, a renown New York City publisher turned land developer. He sold lots to his literary friends and invited them to stay at the Inn while they built homes and created the first housing development in Yorktown. Today, the area is known as Croton Heights.
On July 3, 1926, the Wilsons officially opened the building for lodging, naming it the Croton Heights Inn, catering to local residents and their guests many of whom travelled from around the world to visit.
During the 1940's, a Russian Count by the name of Kotschoubey, purchased the Inn and was granted a liquor license and continued the quiet elegance of this secluded northern Westchester country hostel. The count catered to his wealthy friends such as the McCormicks, Vanderbilts, Gettys, Duncan Hines, all of whom have signed the guest register located in the Inn's center hallway.
During the 1950's Monsieur Charles Biles of New York City leased the Inn and opened the Beaujolais Restaurant on a seasonal basis from May through September. Mr. Biles was successful and wanted to remain open all year, however, the owners refused, so he returned to New York City. His head waiter took over the lease and proceeded to make the Croton Heights Inn northern Westchester's finest bordello.